ThunderSync Version 1.1

Happy new year!

Version 1.1 of ThunderSync is now online. After some feedback from Israel I improved the vCard support and added an option to select the file encoding for import and/or export.

Download possible at https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/265058/.

Outlook seems to assume a certain codepage (8 Bits, 256 characters, depending on country) when encoding vCards. But vCards are meant to be written in ASCII (7 Bits, 128 characters, basic English). Everything beyond English characters has to be encoded separately after declaring an appropriate charset. UTF-8 would be a wise choice because the first 128 characters are identical to ASCII. But Outlook (or at least some versions of it) seems to use the system’s character encoding (Window-1252, …) without naming the charset.

So if some character strings are not correctly imported from or exported to Outlook: Change the encoding to your ISO or Windows codepage. Feel free to inform me about any bugs.

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “ThunderSync Version 1.1

  1. Heya,

    I really like your Addon, because it saves me from dealing with Mork (the format of the thunderbird address book file), which is a real pain in the a**.

    One question, though: Do you plan on adding an auto-update functionality? Something like: Check for changes on startup (like AdressbookSyncronizer does, which sadly only supports Mork). The use case here is a small office with some clients in a MySQL database which should be synced to the Thunderbird address book, and since theres 4 computers here, I don’t want to have to update each one by hand.

    Anyways, keep up the good work!
    Greetings, Lucas

      • I just noticed that the DisplayName of a contact is not actually stored in a vcard but rather the FirstName and LastName (in the form of “LastName, FirstName”), which leads to a ton of conflicts when trying to sync back from the vcards to the address book, because the DisplayName usually reads “FirstName LastName”. Digging around in your code, I found that you had commented out a few lines in ThunderSyncVCardLib.js which deal with DisplayName in a proper way. These lines work pretty well for me, so I wonder why you chose to go a different way (which would not preserve a custom DisplayName btw.)

        Since I see the possible use of this extension, I’d be happy to help you develop it. I know my way around Javascript, have never developed a plugin before, though.

        Please let me know if you’re interested.

      • Well, that is/was due to my mobile phone’s way of formatting contacts. And I had a heap of contacts with bad DisplayNames — so I chose to ignore it while importing.

        Suggestion: In version 1.2 there will be another preferences option for the DisplayName field (ignore, leave-as-is, name format).

  2. While your suggestion would fix the problem, I think it is not a sync tool’s task to sanitize the entries of the cards. That would be a different addon 😉 But maybe that’s just me and my Unix background (one tool for one task).

  3. I got this in my error console:

    Fehler: uncaught exception: [Exception… “Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsILocalFile.append]” nsresult: “0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)” location: “JS frame :: chrome://thundersync/content/ThunderSyncDialog.js :: anonymous :: line 336” data: no]

    ThunderSync stops after 20 contacts

    • This error can be traced back to the vcard filename creation function. First and last name are used to compose the filename — perhaps certain field values lead to an invalid filename.

      Bug will be fixed in next release.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s